Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Two-Sentence Reviews: Start Trek TNG Season 1 Episiodes - Part 1

Hey, people.

After we got Amazon Prime earlier this month, I decided I would take advantage of our free Instant Video privileges by watching Star Trek: The Next Generation in its entirety.

Overall, things aren't looking too good for the series...Berit observed the episodes that we've seen of the first season so far have been terribly hokey, and neither of us remember the show being this bad back when we were watching it on TV. Pretty much, the only thing driving us to continue forward is the strong hope that the series really does get better in the later seasons. Until we finally reach the good stuff, Berit inspired me to make reviews of the episodes with an interesting twist.

I'm not very good with keeping things short, but that's exactly what I'm going to try doing. As the title suggests, I'm going to try reviewing the episodes in two sentences. I feel that boiling the review down to two sentences might make it sound more like heckling, but considering what we've seen so far, who could help but heckle the show?  Also, I'm not a fan of the Roddenberry era of TNG, even if he was the creator of the whole Star Trek thing. I liked the series when Rick Berman took over the show.

Anyway, I know I've already said enough. On with the reviews!

"Encounter at Farpoint" (Episodes 1 & 2):
Apparently, Amazon only has the pre-production version of the pilot, so things looked weird without sound effects. And I still can't believe they made the space squids hold tentacles like lovers into the sunset...

"Naked Now":
In this episode, the writer exercises his right as a sci-fi writer to be able to make something happen in the story without any specific explanation as to why or how it happens. That said, I STILL think Data getting drunk after getting it on with Yar was dumb. :)

"Code of Honor":
I swear, the score was pulled right out of the original series' archives, as well as the hokey plot; however, it was better than the "second one". Get it?!

"The Last Outpost":
I feel that the makeup artists finally caught up with the writers about designing the Ferengi, since the Ferengi were mentioned in the pilot. They did a good enough job with the makeup and costumes, but I can't say much for their decision to use electric pool noodles for their weapons.

That's it for now. I'll make more two-sentence reviews as I watch more episodes. Honestly, I watched some of the later episodes, but I'll keep my reviews in order.

Until then, Laserz!

2 comments:

  1. The first 2 seasons of the series were actually very hokey - as you see, but Season 3 picks up large. You can tell by when they get their collars on their suits. So check the neckline - when its covered, you are into the good ones!

    J-Man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very well aware that the first few seasons are ass, but it's been a while that it's like watching them for the first time. I'm going to endure the pain of watching all of them in order for great justice.

      As for the collar thing, that's where they get a uniform powerup....not only do they get collars, but the uniforms are now more loose fitting (perhaps to compensate for the cast's weight gain? :P) and they get shoulder pads. I think the best uniforms are when they wear the suede zip-down jackets.

      Delete