Monday, March 05, 2012

Ono, Not Again! Another Darkstalkers rumor drops on the internet.

So yeah, the buzz of a new Darkstalkers game (known as the "Vampire" series in Japan) hit the internet some time over the weekend, as I'm sure fighting game fans like me probably know.  Considering how I'm reacting to the news, I wonder if I can consider myself as a fan anymore.  When I heard about this, I got that sinking feeling....for some reason, I don't want a new Vampire game.  At least, not from today's Capcom.

I don't know about you, but I haven't been very happy with Capcom's fighting games as of late.  For Street Fighter IV, it just didn't keep me engaged, and I don't think it's because I have less time to play games overall.  I still can't believe I did it, but I sold my copies of Street Fighter IV and Super Street Fighter IV last month.  What's more unbelievable is that I really don't feel any remorse for doing so.  Where have things gone wrong???

While it's not accurate to hold him solely responsible, I feel that Yoshinori Ono is at least a representative of the current Capcom fighting game era....and I don't mean this in a good way.  I feel that the current era is an ugly one.  All of the fighting games made under Ono's charge have lacked soul in comparison to their predecessors.  Furthermore, Capcom has taken advantage of their fans by extorting them into buying almost every small update and forcing them to pre-order for exclusive content.  When SSFIV came out, I thought they were doing it right by giving it a $40 price tag, but when I saw that Capcom gouged customers for unlocking costumes that were on the disc, that $40 lost its appeal.  I REEEALLY want Street Fighter x Tekken (Zangief and Hug Zero, baby! Team Ton-o-meat!!), but I heard they're shipping discs with locked content again. If I'm buying this game, it ain't for $60.

To be honest, there was a time when money was no object, and I would make a Capcom fighting game purchase happen, no matter what the cost.  But, the way things are now in my life and in the game industry, if it costs this much for a fan to cash in on a game they're not sure about, then I can no longer be a fan.  I got better things to do with my money.

No comments:

Post a Comment